Sunday, March 28, 2010

Drawing THE woman.




I may have mentioned before, that a month ago I finished a very enjoyable comic strip project for a company. The first job on the brief was to complete a comic of Genesis 3. The rough pencil sketch you see is my original. The woman is scantily clad, thin, beautiful. The final version needed the woman to be ammended. More demure, younger looking, plumper. Hair a bit less "polished". Looking less like a movie star.

My question is, why did I so naturally go for the movie start type woman in this first draft? Yes, she is beautiful, but the more I have thought about Genesis 3, the gladder I am for the editor's suggestions for changes. They remake the whole comic. Now, instead of a wily vixen, she is just a young, new, thoughtless creation. Someone who makes a mistake and pays a huge price for it.

It was probably my obsession with Dan Decarlo that made me do the original the way I did. And who can resist the lure of a Decarlo vixen? Not I, sir. But I must say- the young, stupid, sinful Eve in the final has her charm too.

Unfortunately for us, whichever Eve you like better, they are both sinful, and have led us to sin. Luckily for us, whichever Eve you like better, Christ's death has paid for her (and our) mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment